Here is a blog post from last December on the connection between Christmas and the gospel by Scot McKnight:
A friend of mine, John Frye, sent me these notes on how the gospel emerges in the Christmas story of Luke 2 (and he tied it to Acts 2).
As the events unfold regarding Jesus’ birth in Luke 1 and 2, the angels appear to the shepherds with a declaration of the King Jesus Gospel. The angels report to the shepherds:
“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger” (Luke 2:10-12).
Good news: The term is ευαγγελιζομαι, the proclamation of joyful, historical news, that is, welcomed events.
For all people: The good news is not restricted to the 1st century plight of Israel, but a proclamation for all people including the Gentiles. This aspect has deep roots in the covenant with Abram (Genesis 12).
Town of David: The good news is indebted to Old Testament promises around King David and his heir.
Savior: In contrast to other political “saviors,” a child is born who will be the embodiment of God’s salvation.
Christ the Lord: Again, two terms pregnant with Old Testament meaning. The child will be God’s “anointed one”–the Christ, and with the term “the Lord” there is a hint that the Old Testament God himself is entering into the 1st century political and religious fray.
In a manger: God’s grand, climatic entrance into history turns the tables on the concept of power to change people, cultures, the cosmos itself. The Lord was placed in a stable manger (verse 12). God’s first earthly bed was a feeding trough.
- The Christmas Mission (2:32)
- The Story of Christmas - An Animation (12:57)
- O Come All Ye Faithless (1:28)
- New Graphic Quoting C. S. Lewis - English and Romanian
- Christmas Graphic - Luke 2:11 - English & Romanian
- It's About the Cross - E Vorba Despre Cruce (4:07)
- Christmas Creed
- The Christmas Gospel | Scot McKnight
- The Unique Gift of Christmas | Tim Keller
- Christmas Spirit (The Right Way) 2:07
- The Christmas Story (3:53)
- Christmas in a Nutshell (2:00)
- Presence (2:16)
- 'Tis the Season (2:07)
- Christmas is About a Tree (4:10)
- A True Christmas Story (5:13)
- Come Thou Long Expected Jesus (3:07)
- The Christmas Scale (2:41)
- The Paradox of Christmas (2:28)
- The Innkeeper - John Piper (11:58)
- Rejoice! It's Christmas Time! (3:25)