Thursday, November 01, 2012

What is the Gospel? By Dr. Darrell Bock


Darrell Bock on how the gospel is about more than getting our sins forgiven.

Some related links about what Darrell Bock has to say about the gospel:
  1. A Quick Thought About Another Good Book: The King Jesus Gospel by Scot McKnight
  2. Hinge Books in the Story of Redemption: Darrell Bock on Luke-Acts
  3. Darrell Bock on the Non-Pauline gospel of the Speeches in Acts
  4. Darrell Bock on the Gospel in the Speeches of Acts
  5. Life of Christ - BiblicalTraining.org (audio teaching series)
Here is a quote from his book Recovering the Real Lost Gospel:
"The gospel represents the Jesus community's core email to the world. Yet when I hear some people preach the gospel today, I am not sure I hear its presentation as good news. Sometimes, I hear a therapeutic call - that God will make us feel better or prosper more. Other times, I hear so much about Jesus paying for sin that the gospel seems limited to transacting debt removal, a kind of spiritual root canal. Still other times, I hear a presentation that makes the gospel seem more about avoiding something from God versus experiencing something with Him. Other presentations make me think Jesus came to change politics in the world. Such political presentations make me wonder why God did not send Jesus to Rome rather than Jerusalem. None of these is the gospel I see in the Scripture, though some are closer than others."

No comments: